Ror not creating .readonlyrest

i am using kibana enterprise ROR for 7.10.0 elk

am not seeing ROR creating .readonlyrest index and even after loging in it is not allowing me to save the settings.

Logs:

Blockquote [CLUSTERWIDE SETTINGS] Loading ReadonlyREST settings from index (.readonlyrest) …
[2021-07-21T05:46:54,425][INFO ][t.b.r.c.l.ConfigLoadingInterpreter$] [ES01] Loading ReadonlyREST settings from index failed: cannot find index
[2021-07-21T05:46:54,425][INFO ][t.b.r.c.l.ConfigLoadingInterpreter$] [ES01] [CLUSTERWIDE SETTINGS] Loading ReadonlyREST settings from index (.readonlyrest) …
[2021-07-21T05:46:59,427][INFO ][t.b.r.c.l.ConfigLoadingInterpreter$] [ES01] Loading ReadonlyREST settings from index failed: cannot find index
[2021-07-21T05:46:59,428][INFO ][t.b.r.c.l.ConfigLoadingInterpreter$] [ES01] Loading ReadonlyREST settings from file: Path(/etc/elasticsearch), because index not exist

is it a default behavior and i should create index manually pls advise?

It’s expected for our Elasticsearch plugin to look for .readonlyrest index: if the plugin finds a valid YAML configuration in the index, this one will have precedence over the classic readonlyrest.yml file.

The index is expected to be (optionally) created by our Kibana plugin via the GUI you showed in your post.

If you are using our Enterprise or PRO Kibana plugin, you will be able to modify the settings in the editor, and press the save button, so the Elasticsearch plugin (in all the nodes) will pick up the new settings immediately.

To your error message: “Failed to save the security settings” - “Current settings are already loaded” this happens when the actual text contained in the editor is identical to the currently loaded configuration (which comes from readonlyrest.yml).
Try to change even one character, and press save again: you will be allowed to write the settings to index, and from this moment, Elasticsearch will ignore the readonlyrest.yml file (until you delete the .readonlyrest index and reboot Elasticsearch).

:smiley: thanks sscarduzio this fixed my issue

1 Like

Happy to hear my answer hit the target :dart:

1 Like