Bootstrap error ES

Hello,

While upgrading ror plugin to this version readonlyrest-1.57.3_es8.12.1.zip.
I got the following error. How do i fix it? Can someone help me?

[2024-06-26T14:23:09,791][INFO ][o.a.l.i.v.PanamaVectorizationProvider] [testmaster01] Java vector incubator API enabled; uses preferredBitSize=256; FMA enabled
[2024-06-26T14:23:09,866][ERROR][o.e.b.Elasticsearch      ] [testmaster01] fatal exception while booting Elasticsearch
java.lang.ClassFormatError: Duplicate method name "isItRorPlugin" with signature "(Lorg.elasticsearch.bootstrap.PluginPolicyInfo;)Z" in class file org/elasticsearch/bootstrap/PolicyUtil
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method) ~[?:?]
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:1027) ~[?:?]
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:1105) ~[?:?]
        at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:182) ~[?:?]
        at jdk.internal.loader.BuiltinClassLoader.defineClass(BuiltinClassLoader.java:821) ~[?:?]
        at jdk.internal.loader.BuiltinClassLoader.lambda$findClassInModuleOrNull$2(BuiltinClassLoader.java:743) ~[?:?]
        at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(AccessController.java:319) ~[?:?]
        at jdk.internal.loader.BuiltinClassLoader.findClassInModuleOrNull(BuiltinClassLoader.java:744) ~[?:?]
        at jdk.internal.loader.BuiltinClassLoader.loadClassOrNull(BuiltinClassLoader.java:665) ~[?:?]
        at jdk.internal.loader.BuiltinClassLoader.loadClass(BuiltinClassLoader.java:639) ~[?:?]
        at jdk.internal.loader.ClassLoaders$AppClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoaders.java:188) ~[?:?]
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:526) ~[?:?]
        at org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.Security.configure(Security.java:121) ~[elasticsearch-8.12.1.jar:?]
        at org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.Elasticsearch.initPhase2(Elasticsearch.java:198) ~[elasticsearch-8.12.1.jar:?]
        at org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.Elasticsearch.main(Elasticsearch.java:72) ~[elasticsearch-8.12.1.jar:?]

Hi @miroslavkardos

We’re already on this. Yesterday one of our clients reported this problem.
The ES was patched twice due to some problem with our patcher.
The workaround is to reinstall ES (or just copy all of the ES’s lib folder from the fresh installation to your installation).

We will let you know when the problem is fixed. It should be done this week for sure.

@miroslavkardos what was the ROR version you had before?

Because AFAIS the problem you experienced was fixed in ROR 1.57.x.
The issue is in our patcher, so if you have eg. ROR 1.56.0 before, the unpatching step may corrupt the ES installation (only binaries, not data or config files - don’t worry).

ROR patcher thinks that the ES was unpatched with success and allows to apply the patch once again. That’s why you see the problem.

The affected is the ES installation from packages. The docker version is fine.

How to recover from this state? you have the following steps:

1. Remove the ROR plugin
  2. Fix the ES libs:
    a) download ES sources and copy the following filed to your ES path:
    /usr/share/elasticsearch/lib/elasticsearch-8.12.1.jar
    /usr/share/elasticsearch/modules/x-pack-core/x-pack-core-8.12.1.jar
    /usr/share/elasticsearch/modules/x-pack-security/x-pack-security-8.12.1.jar

OR
    b) reinstall ES (eg. apt-get reinstall elasticsearch=8.12.1)
  1. install ROR and patch ES

Please let me know if it helped you.

Hello @coutoPL ,

Thanks for your fast response.
My previous version of ROR plugin was 1.55.0.
I reinstalled ES and after that installled ROR plugin 1.57.3 and patched ES, everything is working.

Thanks.

1 Like