Kibana app hiding - Kibana did not load properly

Hi,

after upgrading to ROR from 1.17.0 to 1.17.2, I experienced problem when logging in with my regular user.
If I enter correct credentials on login screen, I’ll get error “Kibana did not load properly. Check the server output for more information.”

I found some articles pointing out that I should check the css file (touch optimize/bundles/readonlyrest_kbn.style.css), but is in place.

I played with ROR configuration little bit and found out that following line is causing the problem:

kibana_hide_apps: [ “readonlyrest_kbn”, “timelion”, “kibana:dev_tools”, “kibana:management”, “apm”, “monitoring”, “canvas”, “infra:home”, “infra:logs” ]

When I ommited kibana_hide_apps from configuration, I was able to log in without error.

Two configurations:

1. With problem
- name: default
  type: allow
  groups: [ "default" ]
  indices: [ ".kibana", "default" ]
  kibana_hide_apps: [ "readonlyrest_kbn", "timelion", "kibana:dev_tools", "kibana:management", "apm", "monitoring", "canvas", "infra:home", "infra:logs" ]
  kibana_access: rw

- username: tester
  ldap_authentication:
    name: "ldap_connector"
  1. Without problem
- name: default
  type: allow
  indices: [ ".kibana", "default" ]
  kibana_access: rw

- username: tester
  ldap_authentication:
    name: "ldap_connector"

I don’t find any suspicious logs either in kibana.log or in elasticsearch.log file.

Some version info:

elasticsearch - 6.6.1
kibana - 6.6.1
ROR Elasticsearch plugin - readonlyrest-1.17.2_es6.6.1.zip
ROR Kibana plugin - readonlyrest_kbn_pro-1.17.2_es6.6.1.zip

Kibana is behind reverse proxy (Apache).

I’ll be glad if you can take a look at it.

(Simone Scarduzio) #2

Hi @gulycka, will test today, thanks for reporting.

Hi @sscarduzio,

thank you, just let me know if I can share you anything else.

Thanks.

Hi @sscarduzio,

did you have time to test that behavior?
Is there any workaround for that?

I want to perform upgrade of our production cluster and need to decide, if to go with 1.17.0 or 1.17.2 (with some workaround for that issue).

Thanks.

(Simone Scarduzio) #5

1.17.0 is definitely not the case. It’s been the first release after changing so much code, it was kinda unstable. Actually, I think we’re going to release 1.17.3 as soon as next week after the bugs @susannamartinelli recently discovered (thank you Susanna :pray:) and are now fixed.

So @gulycka, I could not reproduce the bug in my environment unfortunately. Could you have look at the chrome javascript console, if there’s some error messages? Or even in ES logs!

Hi @sscarduzio,

es.log is free of errors.

But I found something in Chrome console (I just removed hostname):

<kibana_url>/:1
Refused to apply style from ‘https://<kibana_url>/’ because its MIME type (‘text/html’) is not a supported stylesheet MIME type, and strict MIME checking is enabled.

manifest.json:1
Manifest: Line: 1, column: 1, Unexpected token.

<kibana_url>/:1
Refused to apply style from ‘https://<kibana_url>/’ because its MIME type (‘text/html’) is not a supported stylesheet MIME type, and strict MIME checking is enabled.

space_selector.bundle.js:2
Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property ‘getAttribute’ of null
at Object.1880 (space_selector.bundle.js:2)
at webpack_require (space_selector.bundle.js:2)
at checkDeferredModules (space_selector.bundle.js:2)
at space_selector.bundle.js:2
at space_selector.bundle.js:2

I checked again kibana.log and found something interesting, hope it’ll help.

Right after login:

{“type”:“log”,"@timestamp":“2019-03-15T15:24:36Z”,“tags”:[“info”,“readonlyrest_kbn”],“pid”:23659,“message”:“try extract credentials from JSON”}
{“type”:“log”,"@timestamp":“2019-03-15T15:24:36Z”,“tags”:[“info”,“readonlyrest_kbn”],“pid”:23659,“message”:“try extract credentials from JSON”}
{“type”:“log”,"@timestamp":“2019-03-15T15:24:36Z”,“tags”:[“info”,“readonlyrest_kbn”],“pid”:23659,“message”:" received identity payload: {“x-ror-current-group”:“default”,“x-ror-username”:“tester”,“x-ror-kibana-hidden-apps”:[“kibana:dev_tools”,“timelion”,“kibana:management”,“canvas”,“infra:home”,“infra:logs”,“readonlyrest_kbn”,“monitoring”,“apm”],“x-ror-kibana_access”:“rw”,“x-ror-available-groups”:[“all”,“default”]}"}
{“type”:“log”,"@timestamp":“2019-03-15T15:24:36Z”,“tags”:[“info”,“readonlyrest_kbn”],“pid”:23659,“message”:“ON_IDENTITY no kibana index from headers, setting kibana index to default configured .kibana”}

Then some access logs with 200 response status codes.
Then few interesting logs between lines.

{“type”:“log”,"@timestamp":“2019-03-15T15:24:36Z”,“tags”:[“ror”,“warning”],“pid”:23659,“message”:“Attempted navigation towards forbidden app timelion usign path /plugins/timelion/index.css”}
{“type”:“log”,"@timestamp":“2019-03-15T15:24:37Z”,“tags”:[“ror”,“warning”],“pid”:23659,“message”:“Attempted navigation towards forbidden app canvas usign path /plugins/canvas/style/index.css”}
{“type”:“log”,"@timestamp":“2019-03-15T15:24:37Z”,“tags”:[“ror”,“warning”],“pid”:23659,“message”:“Attempted navigation towards forbidden app monitoring usign path /plugins/monitoring/index.css”}

Have a nice weekend.

(Simone Scarduzio) #7

In what page are you navigating to when you get this error? ROR is apparently detecting an attempt to access Timelion’s CSS.

I’m getting this error right after login. No action is performed. I just privde my credentials and get this error.

App hiding feature probably do some “backend” request to those hidden apps, causing error.

I tried to use following rule:

kibana_hide_apps: [ “readonlyrest_kbn”, “kibana:dev_tools”, “kibana:management”, “apm”, “infra:home”, “infra:logs” ]

I was able to log in, without problems, kibana.log shows me only:

{“type”:“log”,"@timestamp":“2019-03-18T07:12:23Z”,“tags”:[“ror”,“warning”],“pid”:23659,“message”:“Attempted navigation towards forbidden app readonlyrest_kbn usign path /plugins/readonlyrest_kbn/img/favicon.ico”}

When I used either one of the following, I ended up with error “Kibana did not load properly. Check the server output for more information.”, not able to log:

kibana_hide_apps: [ “readonlyrest_kbn”, “kibana:dev_tools”, “kibana:management”, “apm”, “infra:home”, “infra:logs”, “monitoring” ]
kibana_hide_apps: [ “readonlyrest_kbn”, “kibana:dev_tools”, “kibana:management”, “apm”, “infra:home”, “infra:logs”, “canvas” ]
kibana_hide_apps: [ “readonlyrest_kbn”, “kibana:dev_tools”, “kibana:management”, “apm”, “infra:home”, “infra:logs”, “timelion” ]

For each rule I got corresponging error, one at the time:

{“type”:“log”,"@timestamp":“2019-03-18T07:13:16Z”,“tags”:[“ror”,“warning”],“pid”:23659,“message”:“Attempted navigation towards forbidden app canvas usign path /plugins/canvas/style/index.css”}
{“type”:“log”,"@timestamp":“2019-03-18T07:14:05Z”,“tags”:[“ror”,“warning”],“pid”:23659,“message”:“Attempted navigation towards forbidden app monitoring usign path /plugins/monitoring/index.css”}
{“type”:“log”,"@timestamp":“2019-03-18T07:14:50Z”,“tags”:[“ror”,“warning”],“pid”:23659,“message”:“Attempted navigation towards forbidden app timelion usign path /plugins/timelion/index.css”}

(Simone Scarduzio) #9

Oh I see, now I get it. Thanks for the analysis, will fix and provide new build :slight_smile:

No problem, I’m looking forward to test fixed version.
Just let me know in this ticket, that there is new build with fixed issue.

Thanks.