Kibana logs out users very fast

Problem:
Kibana is logging out users after a very short time of inactivity (1 minute - a few minutes)
The users get forced to the login page again where they need to enter their username and password.

Question:
Is there a setting to increase the timeout to something like 1 hour of inactivity or more ?
This should work regardless of the web browser the users use.

kibana.yml

xpack.graph.enabled: false
xpack.ml.enabled: false
xpack.monitoring.enabled: true
xpack.security.enabled: false
xpack.watcher.enabled: false

elasticsearch.username: “XX”
elasticsearch.password: “YY”
readonlyrest_kbn.kibanaIndexTemplate: “.kibana_template”

My company is a ReadonlyREST Enterprise Subscriber.

Elasticsearch/Kibana version: 7.8.1
ReadonlyREST versions:
** readonlyrest-1.24.0_es7.8.1.zip
** readonlyrest_kbn_enterprise-1.24.0_es7.8.1.zip

Hi @i_zeratul, thank you for being an Enterprise subscriber!

One of the session management options of ROR for Kibana is the session validity poll interval.

readonlyrest_kbn.sessions_probe_interval_seconds: 10

This is done to prevent windows tabs showing data being left unattended beyond the session expiration time. In your case you might want to set it up to a very large number of seconds.
By default the session is checked against the Kibana server every 10 seconds, but if the connection times out, or there is any connection error, it logs people out. It’s been proven to have this side effect.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I will use that and see if the users complain. It seems in some Kibana tabs it’s fine - it doesn’t log you out quickly, while on other Kibana tabs it logs you out very fast. Weird.

1 Like

I think it’s because the browser is sending N times the session poll requests with N = #of open tabs :man_facepalming: