Monitoring plugin in ROR

:bulb: ROR Monitoring Plugin

As ELK is doing nasty things to x-pack now, and most people use x-pack for monitoring only anyway, I would like to see alternative to x-pack (when you can actually go to kibana and have everything nicely in one place)

I am trying to convince ROR guys to start thinking about the monitoring feature

What you think?

:rocket: Let’s do this?

0 voters

I like this: @nan008, need to know more from you and any other who cares to respond.
Can you please respond to this comment with your answers?

• Should we have a separate audit and monitoring tab? If no, list what graphs/gauges/tables you would need there.

• What graphs/gauges/tables would you find useful in audit tab? Name top 3

• What graphs/gauges/tables would you find useful in monitoring tab? Name top 3

Several product are left behind , no more developped.

On my side, I use bigdesk and hq es plugin for monitoring, but I m still under 2.x stack

In fact, a ton of information are available through integrated api, and it is “just” needed to run a query, get json response, and beautifully display it :slight_smile:

Yeah I wanted to start from good auditing capabilities, a lot of _cat API is really insightful for example and there is a lot of value if cross-referenced to ROR specific data like users, request ID, Task ID, etc.

For example, I was experimenting with ROR code maintaining in memory the association between user, request, and task ID. So in the audit UI (just a table for now) could rapidly answer the question “What user is hogging the resources with their expensive queries?”

Is there anything out there like this?
How useful would it be?

We already have very much audit log parameters being logged, all this “monitoring” thing can easily boil down to a downloadable dashboard export (a JSON file) people can download and import in Kibana once they enabled audit logs.

Would be awesome if any ROR user could contribute their audit-log dashboard export!