Multi-Tenancy for Kibana

:warning:️ MULTITENANCY WORKS ONLY WITH KIBANA 5.5.x OR GREATER :warning:

Hi all,

Today I had a technical break through and I managed to make Kibana support multi-tenancy without the use of any internal proxies, magic header or reverse proxy.

Just the usual ReadonlyREST plugin for Kibana forwarding authentication credentials to Elasticsearch and getting back kibana_index information (where available) from the Elasticsearch plugin.

This is a quick demo of it in action in my development environment.

1 Like

Will it create multiple kibana_index entries, or it will be saved into .kibana? We cannot wait for this :smiley:

Hello @nan008, I was sure you would have appreciated this! I’m very proud I managed to make this work without weird proxies with regexes to “replace” paths on the fly, or the need to pre-create indices for users.

This is how it works like this now:

1. As a user, you only populate the elasticsearch.yml (or the web gui) with users having kibana_index in place (i.e. kibana_index: kibana_@{user} )
  2. When your first user logs in, the kibana plugin checks if the associated kibana_index exists, and it creates it.
  3. Now the system for that session behaves like kibana.index was configured differently.

Hi Simone,

I’ve been trying to get multi-tenancy up and running with ES 5.3.3, Kibana 5.3.3, and enterprise ROR 1.16.11-20171010_es5.3.3. Can you confirm multi-tenancy features are in this version?

I’ve copied your exact config and fresh installs of ES + Kibana. When I log into Kibana as Simone or admin… I do not see the drop down menu. When I create a dashboard as simone, the admin can still see it and vice-versa. Otherwise, the rest of the installation appears to be om and the other features of ROR appear to be working great

Any ideas what I configured wrong?

Sorry @jchop01, 5.3.3 is too old to support multitenancy. Trying to communicate this better in the website and forum right now.

1 Like