Multi-tenancy issue in RoR (again)

Hi,

I’m experiencing some weird behavior with Kibana RoR plugin when using multiple .kibana indices. It looks like they’re somehow mixed in between and sometimes I loose default index-pattern.

Let say I have a user A and a user B with each a different .kibana index (.kibana (default) and .Bkibana to make it simple). Both users have different rights on indices in the cluster, let say user A has access on indices_for_A_* and user B indices_for_B_*.

We now create index-patterns for A the following way:

• indices_for_A_201901*
  • indices_for_A_201902*
  • indices_for_A_201903*
  • indices_for_A_201904*
  • indices_for_A_201905*

same for user B but with indices_for_B, well you got the point.

Now I log in with user A, go to discover and everything is wonderful I see all the defined index-patterns which were created before. I open a new window, log in with user B and everything is still wonderful, I also can see the index-patterns defined for B.

The trick is now I refresh the page where I logged in with user A and I suddenly end up seeing all the index-patterns defined for user B, why?

Thanks in advance for your help and should you need any clarification on the problem, please tell me

The experiment should be conducted with two independent browsers, otherwise it’s normal that if you log in with A in one window, then B in another window, and refresh the A window and the identity has changed.

When you login, ROR writes the identity object in a cookie. The cookies are a shared storage between windows of the same browser.

Sorry, I should have precised that the thing occurs in different browsers for sure (sounded obvious to me)

@zonArt what version of ROR and Kibana is this?

ES/Kibana: 6.5.3
RoR: 1.18.1

To precise a little bit when I got the index-patterns override it’s between a user with default (not explicitly defined) .kibana and another one with a specific one

Reproduced, thank you. Will work on this tomorrow.

FIXED, tricky bug :slight_smile:
Will PM with a pre build, so you can validate. Ok?

Sure,

Thank you, waiting on it

Hi @zonArt, Thanks for validating the fix!
I just would like to remark great part of the reason it was possible to come up with a fix it this quickly was thanks to the well described “reproducer” test case you laid out for us. So thanks for that too :slight_smile:

PS: The fix will be publicly released in 1.18.2

1 Like

Hi,

Sorry to re-open this painful case, but it looks like the fix is unfortunately not solving the problem. We’re still experiencing issues with lost default index-pattern which is really painful (especially since we use it in production). I also noticed mixed object between different contexts (don’t know if it happened with index-patterns as initially mentioned but exportable objects which were retrieved from another context).
Another bad news is that this behavior is random, I can try to dig in the logs and provide them to you once issue is occurring but I won’t be able to give a step by step stage to reproduce the issue.

Hey @zonArt, are you still using the 1.18.2 for 6.5.3?

yes we still do use the pre-built of 1.18.2 for 6.5.3

I managed to reproduce this. Steps:

• Kibana 6.5.3, ROR 1.18.2 enterprise installed.
  • Two users, one has a “kibana_access” rule specified, the other not (should fallback to default kibana index, typically .kibana)
   - name: "::ADMIN_GRP::"
      groups: ["ROR (admin)"]
      kibana_access: admin

- name: "::Infosec::"
      groups: ["Infosec"]
      kibana_index: ".kibana_infosec"

• Delete all indices from ES, except one called “readonlyrest-xyz”
  • Restart Kibana afresh
  • Have Chrome browser on the left, login as the first user (group ROR (admin))
  • Have Firefox browser on the right, login as Infosec (the one with a custom kibana_index)
  • With Firefox, navigate to Discover, create an index pattern called “readonlyrest*”
  • With Chrome, navigate to Discover and see the index pattern created in the point above. It should not be there!

Workaround

The issue can’t be reproduced if we explicitly specify a “kibana_index” for all the users. For example:

- name: "::ADMIN_GRP::"
      groups: ["ROR (admin)"]
      kibana_index: ".kibana_admin" # <-- added this line

- name: "::Infosec::"
      groups: ["Infosec"]
      kibana_index: ".kibana_infosec"

Will behave ok.

We are currently working on the actual fix. Thanks for the patience!

Hi,

Thanks for the tip, was also looking in this direction. Explicitly giving kibana_index for everyone seems a very good idea. I however have a question, is it possible to define (still explicitly) the default .kibana index or do you really need to chose another one to avoid the issue?

Thanks again for your help.