Odd licence error

Hi,

We’ve recently upgraded two cluster to ES / Kib 7.17.5 and RoR 1.42.0_es7.17.5 enterprise. Both are working fine, but in the Kibana logs for only one of these clusters, we are seeing this error output repeatedly:

[08:30:48:893] [error][plugins][ReadonlyREST][LicenseService] Cannot get the encrypted token from Kibana... got status 404  {"error":{"root_cause":[{"type":"index_not_found_exception","reason":"no such index [.readonlyrest_license]","resource.type":"index_expression","resource.id":".readonlyrest_license","index_uuid":"_na_","index":".readonlyrest_license"}],"type":"index_not_found_exception","reason":"no such index [.readonlyrest_license]","resource.type":"index_expression","resource.id":".readonlyrest_license","index_uuid":"_na_","index":".readonlyrest_license"},"status":404}
[08:30:48:893] [info][plugins][ReadonlyREST][LicenseService] Could not find license in index, will try from env var: ROR_LICENSE_TOKEN

as I said, both clusters seem to be working fine, so we don’t think this is causing any actual problem, but I’m keen to understand the reason for this message in logs. Can’t figure out what we have done differently between the two upgrades so that we see this in one but not the other. Ideas welcome, thanks!

• Adrian

Hello Adrian!

Beginning from the upcoming ROR 1.44.0, we won’t produce Free/PRO/Enterprise builds anymore; soon you will be downloading a universal build which will initially run as the current “Free” edition, but will be unlocked by special activation keys (passed as an environment variable, or applied via Kibana GUI) that PRO and Enterprise subscribers like yourself will be able to generate in a new customer portal we will soon make available.

Why does Kibana print the error message now?

It’s a cosmetic bug. In ROR 1.42.0, we delivered the groundwork services necessary to move to this new system. That code in your ROR version is not yet “wired”, so it has zero effects (like you noticed).

Thanks Simone, understood. Still a bit puzzled why I see this error in one cluster but not the other, but there’s probably some silly reason on our side like difference in logging settings that ive yet to spot. regardless, good to confirm there is no impact. Appreciate the quick response, as always!

1 Like