[SUPPORT|kbn_ent] SHI International SAS (2)

Support request

ROR Version: 1.58.0

Kibana Version: 8.14.3

Elasticsearch Version: 8.14.3

Expected result: Elasticsearch cluster successfully deployed.

Actual Result:
After updating the ROR version from 1.56.0 (Kibana + Elasticsearch 8.7.1) to ROR version 1.58.0 (Kibana + Elasticsearch 8.14.3), I encountered the following error: container has runAsNonRoot and image has non-numeric user (elasticsearch)

I modified the Dockerfile that builds the Elasticsearch image by changing the following part:

FROM docker.elastic.co/elasticsearch/elasticsearch:8.14.3

COPY readonlyrest-1.58.0_es8.14.3.zip ror-es.zip
RUN bin/elasticsearch-plugin install file:///usr/share/elasticsearch/ror-es.zip --batch
RUN rm ror-es.zip

USER root
RUN jdk/bin/java -jar plugins/readonlyrest/ror-tools.jar patch
USER elasticsearch

To:

FROM docker.elastic.co/elasticsearch/elasticsearch:8.14.3

COPY readonlyrest-1.58.0_es8.14.3.zip ror-es.zip
RUN bin/elasticsearch-plugin install file:///usr/share/elasticsearch/ror-es.zip --batch
RUN rm ror-es.zip

USER root
RUN jdk/bin/java -jar plugins/readonlyrest/ror-tools.jar patch
USER 1000

also, in the podTemplate of elasticsearch.yaml i have added:
securityContext:
runAsUser: 1000

The error disappeared, and my Elasticsearch pods started running but then kept crashing, restarting, and so on.

The error is as follows:
[2024-07-22T11:19:37,428][ERROR][o.e.b.Elasticsearch ] [elasticsearch-dev-es-hot-1] fatal exception while booting Elasticsearch
java.lang.IllegalStateException: failed to obtain node locks, tried [/usr/share/elasticsearch/data]; maybe these locations are not writable or multiple nodes were started on the same data path?
at org.elasticsearch.server@8.14.3/org.elasticsearch.env.NodeEnvironment.(NodeEnvironment.java:293)
at org.elasticsearch.server@8.14.3/org.elasticsearch.node.NodeConstruction.validateSettings(NodeConstruction.java:509)
at org.elasticsearch.server@8.14.3/org.elasticsearch.node.NodeConstruction.prepareConstruction(NodeConstruction.java:256)
at org.elasticsearch.server@8.14.3/org.elasticsearch.node.Node.(Node.java:192)
at org.elasticsearch.server@8.14.3/org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.Elasticsearch$2.(Elasticsearch.java:240)
at org.elasticsearch.server@8.14.3/org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.Elasticsearch.initPhase3(Elasticsearch.java:240)
at org.elasticsearch.server@8.14.3/org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.Elasticsearch.main(Elasticsearch.java:75)
Caused by: java.io.IOException: failed to obtain lock on /usr/share/elasticsearch/data
at org.elasticsearch.server@8.14.3/org.elasticsearch.env.NodeEnvironment$NodeLock.(NodeEnvironment.java:238)
at org.elasticsearch.server@8.14.3/org.elasticsearch.env.NodeEnvironment$NodeLock.(NodeEnvironment.java:206)
at org.elasticsearch.server@8.14.3/org.elasticsearch.env.NodeEnvironment.(NodeEnvironment.java:285)
… 6 more
Caused by: java.nio.file.NoSuchFileException: /usr/share/elasticsearch/data/node.lock
at java.base/sun.nio.fs.UnixException.translateToIOException(UnixException.java:92)
at java.base/sun.nio.fs.UnixException.rethrowAsIOException(UnixException.java:106)
at java.base/sun.nio.fs.UnixException.rethrowAsIOException(UnixException.java:111)
at java.base/sun.nio.fs.UnixPath.toRealPath(UnixPath.java:886)
at org.apache.lucene.core@9.10.0/org.apache.lucene.store.NativeFSLockFactory.obtainFSLock(NativeFSLockFactory.java:94)
at org.apache.lucene.core@9.10.0/org.apache.lucene.store.FSLockFactory.obtainLock(FSLockFactory.java:43)
at org.apache.lucene.core@9.10.0/org.apache.lucene.store.BaseDirectory.obtainLock(BaseDirectory.java:44)
at org.elasticsearch.server@8.14.3/org.elasticsearch.env.NodeEnvironment$NodeLock.(NodeEnvironment.java:231)
… 8 more
Suppressed: java.nio.file.AccessDeniedException: /usr/share/elasticsearch/data/node.lock
at java.base/sun.nio.fs.UnixException.translateToIOException(UnixException.java:90)
at java.base/sun.nio.fs.UnixException.rethrowAsIOException(UnixException.java:106)
at java.base/sun.nio.fs.UnixException.rethrowAsIOException(UnixException.java:111)
at java.base/sun.nio.fs.UnixFileSystemProvider.newByteChannel(UnixFileSystemProvider.java:261)
at java.base/java.nio.file.Files.newByteChannel(Files.java:379)
at java.base/java.nio.file.Files.createFile(Files.java:657)
at org.apache.lucene.core@9.10.0/org.apache.lucene.store.NativeFSLockFactory.obtainFSLock(NativeFSLockFactory.java:84)
… 11 more
ERROR: Elasticsearch did not exit normally - check the logs at /usr/share/elasticsearch/logs/elasticsearch-dev.log

ERROR: Elasticsearch died while starting up, with exit code 1

THank you for your help!

{“customer_id”: “ec266e44-6350-4c72-a4e7-b0b5d05dacc7”, “subscription_id”: “d23ec4db-5b92-4128-9754-f11e52867f29”}

@rkaci It seems that this issue is not related to ROR per se. Now, your ES is started as a user 1000 (previously it was elasticsearch). It seems that the new user cannot access files created by the previous one. A quick solution will be changing the owner of the ES data folder to 1000.

Thank you for your feedback.

When I created the new Elasticsearch cluster, it was from scratch. I deleted the one created with the user elasticsearch. Here are the steps I followed:

1. Deleted the old Elasticsearch cluster.
  2. Created a new image with user 1000.
  3. Created a new Elasticsearch cluster with this new image.

Hello,

The issue was about resources (CPU and Memory) which were not enough. I’ve scaled them up and now it’s working fine.

Thank you for your support.

thanks for the confirmation