Will RoR be compatible with Elasticsearch 8?

The below referenced pull request was merged recently into master and kicks in for Elasticsearch 8. Seems like elastic effectively removed the rest plugin capabilities.

We have a POC without RestWrapper but we are not sure that it’ll be enough to make ROR works with ES 8.x.x

But for sure we will make it work :wink: Don’t worry

Yes, last resort is always patching like we did with Kibana. We will go crazy lenghts to try to avoid adding any extra installation steps to the user. But the option of patching is there.

@tom I can confirm that we integrated ROR with ES 8.0.0-alpha1 with success.

2 Likes

@coutoPL Thank you for confirmation.
I do understand fully, that ES development is in 8.0.0-rc1 at the moment and it is too soon to install it into PRODuction.
EOL date of ES 7.16 is confirmed to be 2023-06-07 (Elastic Product End of Life Dates | Elastic)

Saw some time and somewhere (but cannot confirm the date of it and original link) thought “The tech.beshu.ror.es.ReadonlyRestPlugin plugin installs a custom REST wrapper. This functionality is deprecated and will not be possible in Elasticsearch 8.0. If this plugin is intended to provide security features for Elasticsearch then you should switch to using the built-in Elasticsearch features instead.”

Would like to get confirmation from ROR Team, that developments of ES are followed.
Thank you in advance!

Hi, I just want to let you know that ROR with ES 8.x support is released (1.39.0).
Please, note that there was introduced a required patching step

1 Like