X-Pack Monitoring

Do I understand correctly that X-Pack monitoring is currently incompatible with ReadonlyREST?

I found this ticket which seems to indicate it won’t work. Not sure if there any updates on the situation, though.

Monitoring should work OK, the only thing to disable is xpack.security.enabled

OK, thank you! Good news.

Does anything need to be added to the “indices” config in addition to “.kibana” and “.kibana-devnull”? I notice there are a number of “.monitoring” indices. Do these need to be available to Kibana?

@sscarduzio FYI, it seems that monitoring is, unfortunately not working. I’m experiencing the exact same problem as gitime in the ticket above. And the associated Kibana ticket (Kibana sometimes sends HTTP requests to Elasticsearch without credentials · Issue #9583 · elastic/kibana · GitHub) still appears to be unresolved. I don’t think there is anything you can do at this point (beyond all of the analysis you already put into the issue). It’s in the Kibana dev’s hands. Just wanted to clarify for anyone reading this post that it’s not working :frowning:

Damn. You hit that. It will go away with the ROR Kibana plugin because authorization is based on cookies rather than constant presence of auth headers.

From tomorrow I will work on that full time. It’s high time I get it out of the door.

I’ve been meaning to ask about that. I see the following message in the logs, but wasn’t sure what that’s all about:

[2017-05-10T11:14:21,665][INFO ][o.e.p.r.w.ReadonlyRestPlugin] [CLUSTERWIDE SETTINGS] settings not found, please install ReadonlyREST Kibana plugin. Will keep on using elasticearch.yml.

So I guess that plugin’s a new feature that’s not yet available?

ROR Kibana plugin is a paid-for extra that will work side by side with the GPLv3 Elasticsearch plugin.
It is intended to smooth out the Kibana experience. I.e.

1. Login form
  2. Logout button with current logged in user name
  3. Show/Hide Kibana apps to certain users
  4. Security settings editor UI
  5. Refresh security settings w/o rebooting the cluster

And further down the line also access audit dashboard.

Oh, OK, thanks for the info.