Cannot PUT _index_template/template_1

Hi
I am using ES 7.9.0 with ROR 1.22.1_es7.9.0 and i am not able to create/update index templates using PUT _index_template API.

Here is the readonlyrest.yml:

readonlyrest:
enable: true
response_if_req_forbidden: “Forbidden: restricted access area”

access_control_rules:

- name: “::ADMIN::”
auth_key: admin:admin
type: allow

Here is the elasticsearch log:

[2020-09-01T19:49:12,761][INFO ][t.b.r.a.l.AccessControlLoggingDecorator] [node-1] ALLOWED by { name: ‘::ADMIN::’, policy: ALLOW, rules: [auth_key] req={ ID:1612939774-1405143#931225, TYP:Request, CGR:N/A, USR:admin, BRS:false, KDX:null, ACT:indices:admin/index_template/put, OA:127.0.0.1/32, XFF:x-forwarded-for=127.0.0.1, DA:127.0.0.1/32, IDX:te*,bar*, MET:PUT, PTH:/_index_template/template_1, CNT:<OMITTED, LENGTH=520.0 B> , HDR:Authorization=, Connection=close, content-length=520, content-type=application/json, host=localhost, x-forwarded-for=127.0.0.1, x-forwarded-host=my.domain.com, x-forwarded-port=49926, x-forwarded-proto=http, HIS:[::KIBANA_RW::-> RULES:[auth_key->false], RESOLVED:[indices=te*,bar*]], [::KIBANA_MNTR::-> RULES:[auth_key->false], RESOLVED:[indices=te*,bar*]], [::USER::-> RULES:[auth_key->false], RESOLVED:[indices=te*,bar*]], [::USER_UPDT::-> RULES:[auth_key->false], RESOLVED:[indices=te*,bar*]], [::EDC_USER::-> RULES:[auth_key->false], RESOLVED:[indices=te*,bar*]], [::EDC_USER_UPDT::-> RULES:[auth_key->false], RESOLVED:[indices=te*,bar*]], [::ADMIN::-> RULES:[auth_key->true], RESOLVED:[user=admin;indices=te*,bar*]] }
[2020-09-01T19:49:12,761][ERROR][t.b.r.e.r.c.t.ReflectionBasedIndicesEsRequestContext] [node-1] [1612939774-1405143#931225] Cannot update Request request. We’re using reflection to modify the request indices and it fails. Please, report the issue.

Can you please help figuring this out?

PS With these same settings I am able to DELETE, GET the templates. Also, if I use a restricted user I get the “Forbidden: restricted access area” message which makes me think that it is not a configuration issue but rather a defect in ROR.

It looks like we should directly support _index_template API. I’ll add it to our backlog. Let you know when it finished.

I was about to report this issue. We are encountering same issue on 7.8.1. By when should we expect a fix? Based on that, we will plan for our implementation.

It is in ROR 1.24.0 backlog. Will be taken soon.

Thank you for the update. Is it safe to say, in another 3 weeks then?

yes, we can say that

Hi.

Is it fixed? It seems I face the same issue with ROR 1.24 for ES 7.9.2.
Could your please provide an update on this issue?

Thanks

Not yet. It was postponed because of high priority requests from Enterprise users. But we will try to solve this during current (1.25.0) sprint.

Is there a github issue we can follow?

Nope. This is in our internal jira.

Ok, I just opened an issue on the github repository, where it is far easier to follow up.

2 Likes

When can we expect the fix?

please see my post above:

Hi there,

The new 1.25 is out, but it seems the fix is not in.
Am I right or did I miss something? Could you please update us on the status of this issue?

Regards,
Benoît

Yes, it was moved to sprint 1.26.0 because of ROR enterprise users hot requests which we solve in the first place. Sorry for the delay.

Hello,

Would you have sone news ?
I also need that feature.

Is there any hope to have it in the next release ?

Regards,
Hugues

yes, for sure it will be included in the next release. I’m currently working on it. I’ll send pre-build to test soon. Just leave an info about ES version you use.

Hello,

I am currently building an ES cluster 7.10.1 with ReadonlyREST 1.26.1 and I would gladly test it if you have a working pre-build because I also need this feature.

Regards.

Hello,
any update about this issue? We have been following this discussion but there are no updates since more than a month.
Is is fixed in any recent release?

Regards.

it’s almost done. Please leave info about ES version you use and I’ll send you a prebuild to test soon.